MoDOT (Missouri Department of Transportation) will completely close Interstate 70 in both directions between I-435 and I-470/Route 291 (Mile Markers 7-15) beginning Friday, Sept. 6, at 7 p.m. until approximately 5 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 9, according to a MoDOT news release.
While the interstate is closed, the ramps from I-435 South to I-70 East and I-435 North to I-70 west will be demolished. A number of MoDOT crews will also complete other much-needed maintenance work along the several mile stretch, including lighting repairs, median barrier wall repairs, drainage work, and paving operations along I-70.
All work is weather permitting. The road work will have major impacts to traffic including commercial vehicle traffic from vans to oversize loads. Here are the details during each closure day:
THURSDAY, SEPT. 5
· Crews willclose the ramps from I-435 North to I-70 West and I-435 South to I-70 East at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 5. They will be demolished. New ramps will open next spring.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 6
· Crews will begin reducing I-70 to ONE LANE in both directions between I-435 and I-470/Route 291 at approximately 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 6. Motorists can expect various lane closures during this time.
· Crews will begin closing ALL on and off ramps along I-70 between I-435 and Route 291/I-470 around 8 p.m.
· I-70 will be closed entirely from I-435 to I-470/Route 291 at approximately 9 p.m. on Friday, September 6 until approximately 5 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 9.
· I-70 East will be reduced to one lane at Manchester Trafficway and traffic that has not already exited I-70 will be detoured off of I-70 at the ramp to I-435 South.
· I-70 West will be reduced to one lane before the Route 291/I-470 interchange. All traffic that has not already exited I-70 will be routed onto Route 291/I-470 South.
· Route 291 South just north of I-70 will be reduced to one lane to accommodate merging traffic from I-70 West.
All ramps to and from I-70 between I-435 and I-470/Route 291 will be blocked while I-70 is closed.
This work will have major impacts to traffic. Plan ahead.
Motorists MUST follow the signed detour using I-470 or find an alternate route.